Monday, August 27, 2007

7 String Guitar - Why I Converted to a 7 String

Being the stubborn diehard that I am I was always strictly against down tuning in my early old age of playing metal, in the belief that it wasn't necessary in order to do a 'heavy' sound. It was more than a principal than anything else, as a consequence of my antipathy towards the nu-metal motion throughout the mid to late 90's, with its simplistic, and in my sentiment lazy attack to creating weightiness by down tuning so far that the twines nearly drop off, rather than relying on tone of voice and style. Nu-metal was often blamed for the diminution of guitar orientated music and for killing the guitar solo, as was it's melancholy predecessor 'Grunge'. However, after following the tendencies of all heavy music over the old age I grew to love the sound of a growling, bassy chug that come ups with down tuning, and realized that if done tastefully and not over the top it could heighten the aggression of a guitar sound entirely, so I started to follow suit.

Drop Vitamin D was my first step. Simple, effective, but being a thresh nut at the clip I was uncomfortable having that one twine out of the scalar cringle with the rest, so I dropped all twines two half steps to DGCFAD. It felt good, sounded good, but It didn't quite have got the bite. So I dropped the Vitamin Vitamin D twine again, this clip to a Degree Centigrade (so drop D but all twines two half steps lower). I finally establish comfortableness here, still out of the scalar cringle but I didn't mind. I got used to it because I'd fallen in love with that sexual growl! But me being me I simply wasn't satisfied. I realised that every other modern metallic element set on the human face of the planet had favoured this tuning, and I couldn't stand up for that! So I went to B.

Despite being against going this low in my earlier old age there seemed to be a new breed of metallic element sets bringing a technical modern turn to classic metallic element by going low, so I stuck with it, and for a long clip too.

It was as low as hell, chuggy, percussive, aggressive and downright filthy. But it was still clear adequate to be musical and responsive. It seemed to just suit, not to advert that by this point my musical taste sensations had developed and I'd started to constitute a style of my own. It felt like this would be my niche, until I started getting progressive…

A friend of mine, with a pathetic aggregation of guitars I might add, was getting quit of his 7 twine in order to do space for the new Dean Razorback he'd just ordered. I went to his house 1 twenty-four hours after work to sample the delights. I'd only ever played one 7 twine before and at that clip it didn't really take my fancy. I sat in my friend's garage with this chunky freak in my custody (giggle at that verbal description if you must) and I just thought to myself "what make I play?!". Not knowing any 7 twine songs I just improvised a few riffs, got a feel for the cervix and took it place in order to acquire to clasps with it a small better. I ended up buying it a hebdomad later, and had establish my new niche.

It was everything I wanted – in the cardinal of Type B but with the scale of measurement forms of a criterion tuning. Not to advert it's effectively a criterion guitar anyway, only with the low Type B as a 7th string, which open ups up an full Bible of new thoughts and structures, and basically goes a completely new instrument.

The twine latent hostility is tighter and more than antiphonal than that of a down tuned sixer, and the breadth of the cervix goes 2nd nature after a few hours of strumming away. Now I can travel from playing a six to one of my fantan with no demand for adjusting. They're a fantastic creation, and I've recently purchased another. If lone I'd have got discovered them sooner.

No comments: